NEWS & EVENTS
Avaya Reports Second Fiscal Quarter 2015 Financial Results
- Revenue of $995 million
- Operating Income of $83 million, Non-GAAP Operating Income(1) of $162 million
- Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $208 million, 20.9% of revenue
Total revenue for the quarter was $995 million, down $84 million compared to the prior quarter. On a year over year basis revenue was down $65 million compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2014. After adjusting for fluctuations in foreign exchange rates, total revenue for the quarter was down 6 percent sequentially and 3 percent year-over-year. The sequential change was in line with recent seasonal patterns.
For the quarter, adjusted EBITDA(1) was $208 million which compares to adjusted EBITDA of $239 million for the prior quarter and $185 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2014. GAAP operating income was $83 million and non-GAAP operating income was $162 million which compares to non-GAAP operating income of $193 million for the prior quarter and $142 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2014. The company was free cash flow positive for the quarter, with cash and cash equivalents totaling $332 million as of March 31, 2015.
“Avaya’s fiscal second quarter performance demonstrated continued execution of our company transformation and we delivered revenue which was in line with the recent sequential seasonal pattern but below our expectations. Customer demand indicators remain positive with year-over-year improvement in most operational metrics and in our net promoter score. We are also advancing our financial position with a capital structure transaction,” said Kevin Kennedy, president and CEO. “Looking ahead, Avaya remains focused on our sales and marketing transformation and enhancing our portfolio of engagement solutions to increase our cloud, networking, and mid-market penetration and gain share in our existing markets.”
Second Fiscal Quarter Highlights
- Product book-to-bill for the quarter was greater than 1.0. Bookings for product and one-time services were essentially flat year-over-year in constant currency
- The total future contracted value for private cloud and managed services increased 24 percent from the second quarter of fiscal 2014, ending the quarter at over $800 million
- Revenue of $995 million, down by $84 million when compared to the prior quarter, of which $16 million was due to exchange rate fluctuations, and also down by $65 million when compared to the second quarter of fiscal 2014, of which $33 million was due to exchange rate fluctuations
- Gross margin was 59.5% compared to 59.1% for the prior quarter and 56.3% for the second quarter of fiscal 2014
- Non-GAAP gross margin was 60.2% compared to 60.1% for the prior quarter and 58.6% for the second quarter of fiscal 2014
- Operating income was $83 million which compares to operating income of $104 million for the prior quarter and breakeven operating income for the second quarter of fiscal 2014
- Non-GAAP operating income was $162 million compared to non-GAAP operating income of $193 million for the prior quarter and $142 million for the second quarter of fiscal 2014
- Adjusted EBITDA was $208 million or 20.9% of revenue compared to $239 million or 22.2% of revenue for the prior quarter and $185 million or 17.5% of revenue for the second quarter of fiscal 2014
For the second fiscal quarter, percentage of revenue by geography was:
- U.S. – 53%
- EMEA – 27%
- Asia-Pacific – 11%
- Americas International – 9%
Avaya will host a conference call to discuss its financial results and Q&A at 3:00 p.m. PDT on May 7, 2015. On the call will be Kevin Kennedy, president and CEO, and Dave Vellequette, CFO. The call will be moderated by John Nunziati, senior director of investor relations.
To join the live webcast and view supplementary materials, listeners should access the investor page of Avaya’s website (www.avaya.com/investors). Following the live webcast, a replay will be available at the same web address in the event archives.
To access the live webcast by phone, dial 877-876-9177 in the U.S. or Canada and 785-424-1666 for international callers, using the conference ID: AVQ215. Listeners should access the webcast or the call 10-15 minutes before the start time to ensure they are connected prior to the start time.
A replay of the conference call will be available beginning at 6:00 p.m. PDT on May 7 through June 7, 2015, by dialing 800-757-4761 within the United States or 402-220-7215 outside the United States.
Avaya is a leading provider of solutions that enable customer and team engagement across multiple channels and devices for better customer experience, increased productivity and enhanced financial performance. Its world-class contact center and unified communications technologies and services are available in a wide variety of flexible on-premise and cloud deployment options that seamlessly integrate with non-Avaya applications. The Avaya Engagement Environment enables third parties to create and customize business applications for competitive advantage. Avaya’s fabric-based networking solutions help simplify and accelerate the deployment of business critical applications and services. For more information please visit www.avaya.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may be forward-looking statements. These statements may be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as "anticipate," "believe," "continue," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "might," "plan," "potential," "predict," "should" or "will" or other similar terminology and include statements about our anticipated capital structure transaction. We have based these forward-looking statements on our current expectations, assumptions, estimates and projections. While we believe these are reasonable, such forward looking statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control. These and other important factors may cause our actual results to differ materially from any future results expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. For a list and description of such risks and uncertainties, please refer to Avaya's filings with the SEC that are available at www.sec.gov. Avaya disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements.
1Refer to Supplemental Financial Information accompanying this press release for a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP numbers and for reconciliation of adjusted EBITDA for the first quarter of fiscal 2015 see our Form 8-K filed with the SEC on February 9, 2015 at www.sec.gov