NEWS & EVENTS
Avaya Reports First Fiscal Quarter 2015 Financial Results
- Revenue of $1,079 million
- Operating Income of $104 million, Non-GAAP Operating Income(1) of $193 million
- Adjusted EBITDA(1) of $239 million, 22.2% of revenue
Total revenue for the quarter was $1,079 million, down $47 million compared to the prior quarter. On a year over year basis revenue was down $52 million compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2014. After adjusting for fluctuations in foreign exchange rates, revenue was down 3 percent sequentially and year-over-year, in line with historical quarterly sequential patterns.
For the quarter, adjusted EBITDA(1) was $239 million which compares to adjusted EBITDA of $253 million for the prior quarter and $237 million for the first quarter of fiscal 2014. GAAP operating income was $104 million and non-GAAP operating income was $193 million which compares to non-GAAP operating income of $212 million for the prior quarter and $193 million for the first quarter of fiscal 2014. The company was free cash flow positive for the quarter, with cash and cash equivalents totaling $328 million as of December 31, 2014.
“Revenue for Avaya’s first fiscal quarter was constrained by the effect of exchange rates, December sales execution and deal timing. Non-GAAP gross margin, non-GAAP operating margin and adjusted EBITDA margin achieved record results for a first fiscal quarter. Our performance demonstrated improved year-over-year operating model efficiency and continued execution of our strategic plan,” said Kevin Kennedy, president and CEO. “Looking ahead, Avaya remains focused on our sales and marketing transformation and enhancing our portfolio of engagement solutions to drive toward increasing our private cloud, networking, and mid-market penetration and gaining share in our existing markets.”
First Fiscal Quarter Highlights
- Product bookings were up year-over-year, while product book-to-bill was below 1.0, consistent with typical first fiscal quarter patterns
- The total future contracted value for private cloud and managed services increased 20 percent from the first quarter of fiscal 2014, ending the quarter at over $800 million dollars.
- Revenue of $1,079 million, down by $47 million when compared to the prior quarter, of which $13 million was due to exchange rate fluctuations, and also down by $52 million when compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2014, of which $19 million was due to exchange rate fluctuations
- Gross margin 59.1% compared to 58.2% for the prior quarter and 56.6% for the first quarter of fiscal 2014
- Non-GAAP gross margin was 60.1% compared to 59.7% for the prior quarter and 58.1% for the first quarter of fiscal 2014
- Operating income was $104 million which compares to operating income of $62 million for the prior quarter and operating income of $87 million for the first quarter of fiscal 2014
- Non-GAAP operating income was $193 million compared to non-GAAP operating income of $212 million for the prior quarter and $193 million for the first quarter of fiscal 2014
- Adjusted EBITDA was $239 million or 22.2% of revenue compared to $253 million or 22.5% of revenue for the prior quarter and $237 million or 21.0% of revenue for the first quarter of fiscal 2014
For the first fiscal quarter, percentage of revenue by geography was:
- U.S. – 53%
- EMEA – 28%
- Asia-Pacific – 9%
- Americas International – 10%
Avaya will host a conference call to discuss its financial results and Q&A at 2:00 p.m. PST on Monday, February 9, 2015. On the call will be Kevin Kennedy, president and CEO, and Dave Vellequette, CFO. The call will be moderated by John Nunziati, senior director of investor relations.
To join the live webcast and view supplementary materials, listeners should access the investor page of Avaya’s website (www.avaya.com/investors). Following the live webcast, a replay will be available at the same web address in the event archives.
To access the live webcast by phone, dial 877-876-9176 in the U.S. or Canada and 785-424-1667 for international callers, using the conference ID: AVQ115. Listeners should access the webcast or the call 10-15 minutes before the start time to ensure they are connected prior to the start time.
A replay of the conference call will be available beginning at 5:00 p.m. PST on February 9 through March 9, 2015, by dialing 800-695-0395 within the United States or 402-220-1388 outside the United States.
Avaya is a leading provider of solutions that enable customer and team engagement across multiple channels and devices for better customer experience, increased productivity and enhanced financial performance. Its world-class contact center and unified communications technologies and services are available in a wide variety of flexible on-premise and cloud deployment options that seamlessly integrate with non-Avaya applications. The Avaya Engagement Environment enables third parties to create and customize business applications for competitive advantage. Avaya’s fabric-based networking solutions help simplify and accelerate the deployment of business critical applications and services. For more information please visit www.avaya.com.
Certain statements contained in this press release may be forward-looking statements. These statements may be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as "anticipate," "believe," "continue," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "might," "plan," "potential," "predict," "should" or "will" or other similar terminology. We have based these forward-looking statements on our current expectations, assumptions, estimates and projections. While we believe these are reasonable, such forward looking statements involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control. These and other important factors may cause our actual results to differ materially from any future results expressed or implied by these forward-looking statements. For a list and description of such risks and uncertainties, please refer to Avaya's filings with the SEC that are available at www.sec.gov. Avaya disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements.
1Refer to Supplemental Financial Information accompanying this press release for a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP numbers and for reconciliation of adjusted EBITDA for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014 see our Form 8-K filed with the SEC on November 13, 2014 at www.sec.gov.