NEWS & EVENTS
Avaya Expands Range and Reach of Collaborative Learning Opportunities in Higher Education
- Avaya Communications and Collaboration solutions simplify and enhance educational experience; drive increased participation by students, faculty and experts located anywhere
- Technology increasingly being adopted by colleges and universities to build and use private, hybrid and public cloud-based collaboration solutions
- AvayaLive™ Engage provides colleges and universities with unique, cloud-based 3D learning environment
- Campus-wide private and hybrid clouds. Higher education institutions and organizations use Avaya Virtual Enterprise Network Architecture to deploy a standards-based private cloud infrastructure that can be extended campus-wide from the data center all the way to the desktop. The Avaya Aura® core communications platform delivers centralized unified communications and contact center applications.
- AvayaLive™ Engage, formerly known as web.alive, is a Web-based, immersive collaboration environment that enables students, faculty and staff to use personalized avatars in a 3D environment to collaborate in meetings and study sessions, and participate in online learning, international studies, distance learning, training and recruiting. AvayaLive Engage was recently awarded a 2012 Ed-Tech Readers' Choice Award in recognition of its advances in online learning technology.
- Avaya DevConnect technology partner, Esna Technologies (Esnatech), seamlessly integrates Avaya's portfolio of unified communications platforms to cloud-based applications, such as Google Apps, VMware Zimbra® and Microsoft® Office 365™ to maximize student collaborative learning and faculty and staff productivity, while providing unified messaging, rich on-hook/off-hook presence, click-to-dial functionality and smartphone integration support.
"It was important that our Avaya unified communications integrate with both Exchange and Google Apps. Many of our students and adjunct faculty use Google Apps, and through Office-LinX these users have the same UC capabilities such as presence, mobility and messaging as their peers on Exchange."
"We have redundant Avaya VSP9000s that actively work together. If one goes down, the other one can carry the full load without any impact to our users. We can take a whole series of these core switches down, run updates on them and reboot them. This allows us to upgrade without having to bring the network down. Without this redundancy, trying to update a busy university network such as Temple's that serves 40,000 students and four affiliated hospitals is like trying to perform a heart transplant on someone who is running a marathon."
Timothy O’Rourke, CIO, Temple University
"Networks designed for best-efforts traffic such as email and Internet are no longer adequate for education. With rich multimedia content, high-stakes online assessments, video, BYOD, cloud computing and the real-time movement of virtual machines, education technology leaders now realize the need for networks with much lower latency and guaranteed delivery to underpin always-on learning."
Marc Randall, SVP & GM, Avaya Networking, Avaya
Avaya is a global leader in business communications and collaboration, providing unified communications, contact centers, data solutions and related services to companies of all sizes around the world. For more information please visit www.avaya.com.