Remote work is here to stay. Make it work with UCaaS.
More than 80% of organizations say they plan to allow their employees to work remotely at least part of the time upon reopening from the pandemic. But do they have what they need to effectively do so? Many rapidly adopted a wide variety of communication and collaboration tools in 2020 to keep things going in the short-term that, if maintained, will lead to usability, management, and security challenges as well as the higher total cost of operations.
If organizations are serious about long-term remote work, they need to create an effortless and unified strategy around the individual meeting, calling, and team messaging apps using Unified Communications-as-a-Service (UCaaS). Research from Metrigy shows that 23% of companies had adopted UCaaS before the pandemic, up from 12% in 2018. Now, almost 65% say that the pandemic has made them more likely to use cloud communications services.
The Key: A Single, Integrated UCaaS Solution
Without a unified experience, work and productivity suffer. Employees are forced to navigate a confusing mix of disjointed calling, meeting, and team messaging applications that are not integrated, let alone other enterprise apps they need for things like project and task management, customer relationship management (CRM), and enterprise resource planning (ERP). This fragmented environment is more expensive to operate (separate licenses for each app, higher staffing costs for needing to manage each app individually) and difficult for supervisors to manage and monitor, which drives many to push for on-site work.
On the other hand, a single, integrated UCaaS solution provides:
- One single-user interface for accessing all features across desktop and mobile devices.
- Integrated data from other applications (ex: Business Intelligence reporting).
- Seamless integrations with CRM, ERP, HR, and other enterprise apps.
- Automated upgrades for access to new features.
- Centralized management and control (manage information, make changes, and securely monitor communications anywhere using one simple app available on any device).
- Next-level analytics: solutions like Avaya Cloud Office by RingCentral provide built-in analytics that enables admins to gain a deeper understanding of their organization’s communications - anywhere, on any device.
All of this leads to unprecedented cost and productivity improvements. According to Metrigy, those who use a single, integrated UC provider spend 56% less in operational expenses (calculated as licensing + staffing costs) on a per-user, annual basis. Best of all, a single, integrated solution enables you to integrate UCaaS and your contact center platforms. An analysis found that agents who can use UC capabilities like team messaging from within their contact center applications see an increase in customer satisfaction ratings of 56.7%, a 19.7% reduction in operational costs, and a 23.4% reduction in monthly per-agent spending on licenses.
How to Find the Best Solution for Your Organization
Ready to reduce operational costs, provide faster access to emerging features, and deliver an integrated experience to your remote and in-office workers? Here’s what you should do next:
- Assess your current collaboration environment: does your current mix of application capabilities meet your worker’s needs and allow you to effectively manage distributed teams?
- Evaluate the potential of cloud-based services to provide flexibility to support remote work and faster access to emerging collaboration capabilities (see this blog for more)
- Assess single-vendor solutions for calling, team collaboration, and meetings that may offer reduced operating costs as well as simplified user experiences.
- Consider the potential of integrated UCaaS solutions to reduce management demand and ensure the application of consistent security policies.
The explosive growth of remote work in 2020 was the beginning of a significant, long-term, post-pandemic movement. But for remote work to work long-term, organizations need to evolve their disjointed collaboration environment to an effortless and unified communications approach with a single, integrated UCaaS solution.