Avaya Publishes 2015 Corporate Responsibility Report
This week, Avaya announced the release of our fiscal year 2015 Corporate Responsibility Report. The Report builds off of the company’s inaugural report, released last year, and illustrates the company’s key opportunities for making a positive difference in the world through its employees, products, customers and supply chain. A full copy of the report is available here.
At Avaya, corporate responsibility means considering the environmental, social, and economic impacts of doing business. Our corporate responsibility strategy is grounded in four focus areas: workplace, environment, marketplace, and community, and realized through programmatic initiatives that address the topics most important to our business and stakeholders.
As described in the report, in fiscal year 2015 Avaya:
- Exceeded our five-year goal to reduce carbon emissions by 15 percent before 2015.
- Reduced its carbon footprint from business operations by 14 percent in one year.
- Became an affiliate member of the Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC), which ensures safe and humane labor standards, environmentally responsible business practices and high ethical standards in the supply chain.
- Made 95 percent of its applications available as virtual machines, reducing energy, hardware and costs for our customers.
- Improved packaging designs to reduce shipping costs and environmental impact.
- Partnered with the Environmental Defense Fund Climate Corps program to explore energy and cost-savings opportunities in our labs and data centers.
- Joined with partners and suppliers to host the company’s first-ever Global Month of Giving, which raised approximately $250,000 for charitable organizations and engaged thousands of employees around the globe.
While we are pleased with the progress we have made over the last year, we recognize there is still more work to do. In 2016, we are focusing on furthering our commitment by establishing a dedicated fund to support charitable causes, and expanding our influence to create positive change through partnerships with customers and suppliers.
Some of the greatest benefits to society will be realized through the acceleration and adoption of our technology, which has the ability to increase productivity while minimizing risk, physical infrastructure footprints, operational costs, and stress on natural resources.
Avaya solutions are cloud-enabled, mobile, interoperable and engage people across time and space to quickly solve customer problems and meet the demands of a changing 21st-century workplace.
Our reach goes even further: A recent industry study from the Global-e Sustainability Initiative (GeSi) illustrates how the information and communication technology industry will play an important role in curbing climate change emissions and shaping a more equitable future. GeSi estimates that by 2030 “ICT will connect 1.6 billion more people to healthcare and half a billion more to e-learning,” and “can enable a 20 percent reduction of global CO2 emissions, holding emissions at 2015 levels.”
With the recent endorsement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and the UN Climate Agreement, which resulted in a legally binding agreement across 196 countries to take necessary action on global warming to limit global warming below 2°C, climate change is interconnected with the world’s most pressing challenges.
Sustainable development and climate change are impacting companies, governmental organizations and civil society, and solutions to these challenges are in high demand. Fortunately, the ICT industry is uniquely positioned to help. At Avaya, we recognize that we are part of this larger narrative, and are committed to engaging, advancing and sharing our progress with all of you.